13 Jul BOLIVAR SQUARE
PALM TREES TO THE SON OF THE DRUMS
Huge palm trees guard it, giant trees that carry in their branches years of life, giving a lush shade to those who let themselves be enchanted by them. Its famous inhabitants raise their wings and watch over it, waiting for whoever gives them a grain of corn. Doves that take flight and leave, but always come back.
Few rays of sunlight penetrate its green roof, palm trees that move to the swing of the breeze make it a proper place for locals, passersby and visitors to mitigate the hot weather of Cartagena. Palenqueras with their colorful costumes and «poncheras» loaded with delicious fruits that want to be in the mouth of who sees them, are figurative and representative characters to take a picture with in this shadowy square.
When the sun goes down and the night shows up as an accomplice of cultural groups that seek to show the Caribbean flavor that runs through their veins, they feel the echo of the rumble of drums, sounds that infect and make the soul dance.
Like most places of the historical Cartagena its name was adhered to nearby places, It was called «Plaza de la Inquisicion» «Plaza de la Catedral» because of its proximity to these places, but it was November 11, 1897 when the statue of Simón Bolívar was inaugurated and it acquired the name «Plaza de Bolívar».