13 Jul FERNÁNDEZ DE MADRID PARK
Tall trees guard its contour drawing an exuberant shadow; there is nothing like sitting in one of their benches to eat a «raspao» while the pigeons flutter around you. Located in the San Diego neighborhood, which belongs to the historic center of Cartagena, this makes it an attractive place to visit.
Like any other historic place in the center of Cartagena, it has changed its name through the pass of times. Around 1572, Bahamon de Lugo, then governor of the city, gave the order to build «jagüeyes» so that they could refresh the animals, thus taking the name «plaza de los jagüeyes».
Later built the church of Santo Toribio located diagonally to this one, so the name of «Plaza de Santo Toribio» is given to it, but it was in the year of 1889 when it takes its current name, once inaugurated the statue of the Cartagenero José Fernández de Madrid, statue that remains in the center of the park and with which it would be an honor to take a photo.